Owner builder Richard Telford will be a running tour at Abdallah House, an urban rebuild and permaculture demonstration site on 580m2 (1/7th of an acre) in the rural township of Seymour, central Victoria. Tours running from 9:00am to 12:00.
Abdallah House, is a key feature in David Holmgren’s exciting new book, RetroSuburbia – which is distributed from the Seymour- based business, Permaculture Principles. Abdallah House is a micro suburban farm that produces bread, beer, wine and preserves, amid thriving fruit and vegetable gardens. It is a social experiment in sustainable living, with a predominantly home based lifestyle incorporating work and education for two young boys.
- passive solar design, with raised living room slab
- reuse of original building and 2nd hand materials
- integrated cellar / tank stand / cool cupboard
- low energy consumption home (around 3-4kWh p/d)
- ‘super fridge’ upright freezer conversion using 75% less energy
- 1.5kw solar array
- rainwater capture in tanks and earthworks
- chooks and small netted espaliered orchard
- fossil-fuel free heating and hot water system
- use of large Red Gum which was milled on-site
- greenhouse with experimental aquaponics
- vegetable gardens and multi-grafted fruit trees
- composting system
For more see the extensive blog about the house build http://www.abdallahhouse.com/
How to Book
This home tour is part of RetroSuburbia ‘Aussie Street’ event organised by Mitchell Shire Council and Holmgren Design. Bookings are being taken from the Holmgren Design website.
Visited 1692 times, 2 Visits today