Come for a point of interest or bring a picnic and stay for the day
HERBAL TEA, REGULAR TEA & COFFEE FRESH MUFFINS AND SCONES AVAILABLE Kate and Stephen’s early vision to live sustainably has been a long and enjoyable evolution from designing Permaculture landscapes & reaped the rewards, to designing and building solar passive homes. They have incorporated many sustainable practices and technologies into their home, a labour of love, at Logans Beach, Warrnambool. ‘Sea Mist’, the property they have developed since 1998, sits on an ancient sand-dune. It is a north-east facing, two acre, battle-axe block with beautiful views, but extreme challenges: wild winds, salt spray, limestone, very free draining soils and steep slopes. The direction and slope is very welcome, helping many things. This includes being able to have swales through out the property, storing much needed water in the soil and allowing the houses to be located at the top, the crest of a hill, getting sun all day and capturing all prevailing winds. Climate is mainly cool temperate, buildings are East, North and West facing with clerestory windows to ensure maximum use of the sun’s energy. In summer wide eves, heavy curtaining and blinds are used to block the heat out. The multi-generational and multi-level block veneer house design ensures that views are captured, but it also offers great cross ventilation keeping it warm in winter and cool in summer.
Activities to engage in:
- any talks you are interested in see program below
- individual discussions about solar power options for your situation
- olive picking & preserving demonstration
- art & craft activities for children
Permaculture design principles have been incorporated, including:
- Defined zones
- Rainwater collection
- Grey and black water is treated Ozzie Kleen 100% aerobic household sewage treatment systems then used on the gardens
- Hot water – Quantum Heat Pump
- Passive solar design and cross ventalation of buildings
- Solar power systems 3 KW, 10 KW and 8 KW
- Harvesting firewood and mulch from Blue Gum trees by pollarding
- Worm farms, composting
- Companion planting and crop rotation
- Poultry and bees at work.
Attend any formal talks or enjoy informal chats during the day.
- 11:30 — main house — APPLIED PERMACULTURE ETHICS AND PRINCIPLES- KATE
- 12:00 — main house — SOLAR POWER AN AFFORDABLE SOLUTION – TBA specialist
- 13:00 — main house — INFRASTRUCTURE AT SEA MIST – STEPHEN
- 14:00 — orchard — HOLISTIC ANIMAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS – RICKY
- 15:00 — Olive Grove — FOOD PRESERVING METHODS – JESS
- Plants and hand made articles in the Olive Grove.
- White Fantail Doves
- Duck breed egg orders taken four breeds available
Kate & Stephen Cherrett + Jess and Ricky Beca Cherrett
3A Logans Beach Road
0417 383 757
Closely connected family that enjoy living in a multi-generational arrangement.
Passionate about life and living it sustainably amongst other things.
Kate Cherrett : Permaculture Designer, Teacher, Life Coach Artist, Business Owner
Stephen Cherrett: Manager, Teacher, Owner Builder, Metal Fabricator
Jessica Beca-Cherrett: Naturopathic Practitioner
Ricky Beca-Cherrett: Computer Programmer, Permaculture Designer
How to Book
Feel free to show up at any time on the day (see program).
Parking provided on the verge across from the driveway – look for the flags marking where the parking will be.
Visited 458 times, 1 Visit today